Author Topic: Stripping Paint Off That Treasured Slot Machine SAFELY  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Chief

Stripping Paint Off That Treasured Slot Machine SAFELY
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
I wanted to strip off paint off a old Jennings Four Star and restore it to its original colors.

How to do this safely, since the machines' front is aluminum and I did not want to use smelly paint remover and have a mess as what generally happens.

I learned of a newer removal process called Soda Blasting. This is being done by some traditional sand blasting companies and it takes about five minutes to clean a machine , with out damage to the aluminum, no pits or any type of damage what so ever.

This process was developed when they wanted to restore the Statue of Liberty and not damage the thin copper plates on the outside of the statue. It worked so well that now many companies are doing Soda Blasting.

They use Baking Soda under high pressure and the old thick paint on your treasured slot machine just melts off.  A mechanism can look like new as well and because of this process, you do not have to be concerned about rust, as this process protects against rust.

If you want to save the hassle of messy paint and smelly paint remover on you machines , be sure to try this and look in you phone book for a shop near you.

Chief
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:40:46 PM by Chief »

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
Re: Stripping Paint Off That Treasured Slot Machine SAFELY
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:25:59 PM »
I agree that soda blasting is better than using an abrasive technique, it is also useful if you want to
remove paint from something made of fiberglass.

One issue with soda blasting is that the soda goes everywhere, so perhaps it would be nice to
have a cabinet to contain it all.

Harbor Freight sells a couple different models, currently a 15 lb for around $100 and a 40 lb for
about $150. We missed the good deal when HF was clearing out stock of the 10 lb for around
$35, that ended in December.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=soda+blaster

Thanks for posting this Chief, it is good for people to learn before they ruin their
machines.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:57:39 AM by dhellis »

Offline Jackpot

• Administrator
    • The Sugar Shack, antique Coin operated games, slots-jukes-and others
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »
I wanted to strip off paint off a old Jennings Four Star and restore it to its original colors.

How to do this safely, since the machines' front is aluminum and I did not want to use smelly paint remover and have a mess as what generally happens.

I learned of a newer removal process called Soda Blasting. This is being done by some traditional sand blasting companies and it takes about five minutes to clean a machine , with out damage to the aluminum, no pits or any type of damage what so ever.

This process was developed when they wanted to restore the Statue of Liberty and not damage the thin copper plates on the outside of the statue. It worked so well that now many companies are doing Soda Blasting.

They use Baking Soda under high pressure and the old thick paint on your treasured slot machine just melts off.  A mechanism can look like new as well and because of this process, you do not have to be concerned about rust, as this process protects against rust.

If you want to save the hassle of messy paint and smelly paint remover on you machines , be sure to try this and look in you phone book for a shop near you.

Chief

Hi Chief and Dan,

Do you use a higher pressuere then with a glass, shell or sand blaster? I have a cabinet blaster here, and have heard of this soda blasting on Rick's Restoration, that TV show. I have never tried it or seen it done yet but I might just give this a shot as it sounds like a BLAST! No puns intended.......Ya Right. You say this works great on mechanisms also, is that right? I wonder if it takes forever to remove the rust and clean mechanism parts with soda? Have you tried it on parts like mechanism parts?
Thanks
Jackpot  :-X 8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:59:25 AM by dhellis »

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »
If you have everything disassembled then it probably does not take as much time as one
might think. Here is a short demo of one of the Harbor Freight units

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9-4sHYyk9o
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:40:17 PM by dhellis »

Offline Chief

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »
Jackpot and Dan,

I had my mechanism Soda Blasted and it looks like new, it took off hardened grease and oil and rust and looks like it was plated or just came out of the factory.

What took weeks before  to clean a mechanism with a wire brush and degreaser cleaner and had decades of crud and still did not look as good as soda blasting ,  everything is gone in a flash with soda blasting.

Baking Soda also inhibits rust and corrosion so it has made this way of cleaning a real plus for everyone.

The demonstration of a soda blaster from harbor freight was a great demonstration for those who want to learn about this newer technique. Thanks dhellis    for adding this to the post.
              Chief

Offline Jackpot

• Administrator
    • The Sugar Shack, antique Coin operated games, slots-jukes-and others
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:23:26 PM »
Great Information! Dan, thanks for all the links and the movie showing it being done. I think I will convert my sand blaster over to soda, it looks like it does a real nice job with little damage. Then when your all done you can bake a cake with the used stuff, now that is going GREEN! Thanks for all this information.

Jackpot  :) :) ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:40:46 PM by dhellis »

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
For anyone else that may wonder if this is what they need but don't want to spend $100 to find out then
all you really need is this little sucker.

http://www.eastwood.com/abrasive-and-soda-blast-intro-kit.html

It is only $50 and probably would suit the needs of a casual user, it would get you off to a good
start before making a bigger investment.

Offline Chief

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »
dhellis,
           Thank you for the information of Eastwood beginner soda blaster. I just ordered one and will let everyone know how it works!.  Your tips are very helpfull , thanks' again for sharing your knowledge.
                      Chief

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »
Chief,
I hope that you will post your findings to help everyone else that might be interested, I am sure that you will.

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »

Chief

Hi Chief and Dan,

Do you use a higher pressher then with a glass, shell or sand blaster? I have a cabinet blaster here, and have heard of this soda blasting on Reck's Restoration, that TV show. I have never tried it or seen it done yet but I might just give this a shot as it sounds like a BLAST! No puns intended.......Ya Right. You say this works great on mechanisms also, is that right? I wonder if it takes forever to remove the rust and clean mechanism parts with soda? Have you tried it on parts like mechanism parts?
Thanks
Jackpot  :-X 8)

Sorry, no one answered this. I am no expert but I believe that all that is required is an air compressor that is capable
of producing 80 psi.

Dan

Offline Chief

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 06:40:57 AM »
Dan,
        Your correct, an 80 pound compressor will do it.  I have learned since I purchased the fifty dollar soda blaster from Eastwood. That their are two types of Arm & Hammer soda.
One is a finer size  and one is a heavier size soda. Both work to take off Paint & Rust.

I have the compressor and I can get a a 50# bag localally for 39. Dollars.

They rec comend a long sleeve shirt , long paints  and heavy gloves and face and or eye protection.
I'm ready and will give everyone a report how every thing works.

From what I understand you do need a similar but different nozzle for soda blasting.
So Jackpot is set to go, all he needs is the proper nozzle .

Harbor Freight has 50 pound bags of soda , so I would think they stock nozzles also.
As soon as I get my unit from Eastwood the $ 49. Dollar special.

I will let every one know how it works.
                                  Chief

Vintage

Slots Web Ring