Author Topic: Display readout garbage  (Read 2328 times)

Offline ramegoom

Display readout garbage
« on: July 29, 2013, 06:59:21 AM »
Finding the LED readout seems to be inconsistent, with segments dropping out occasionally. Wiggling the reel cage makes them flicker. I have checked the backplane board, can't find anything wrong there - all seems to be tight and no bad solder joints that I can find.

So, I believe it's in the Beau connectors - probably the most unreliable parts on the machine. I have tried cleaning and "erasing" the tarnish on the pins, but really doesn't help that much. I am thinking it's the female connectors in the machine that tend to lose their spring tension. Not sure though. Getting those connectors perfectly aligned seems to be a feat in itself. Crappy design at best.

If I can't get the Beau connectors to be reliable enough, I'll end up eliminating them and installing some Molex free-hanging connectors into the machine. But that's an awful lot of effort to do it. We will see.

Have you had any experience in those connectors failing?

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
Re: Display readout garbage
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:25:34 AM »
Finding the LED readout seems to be inconsistent, with segments dropping out occasionally. Wiggling the reel cage makes them flicker. I have checked the backplane board, can't find anything wrong there - all seems to be tight and no bad solder joints that I can find.

So, I believe it's in the Beau connectors - probably the most unreliable parts on the machine. I have tried cleaning and "erasing" the tarnish on the pins, but really doesn't help that much. I am thinking it's the female connectors in the machine that tend to lose their spring tension. Not sure though. Getting those connectors perfectly aligned seems to be a feat in itself. Crappy design at best.

If I can't get the Beau connectors to be reliable enough, I'll end up eliminating them and installing some Molex free-hanging connectors into the machine. But that's an awful lot of effort to do it. We will see.

Have you had any experience in those connectors failing?

Well, back from vacation and nice to have good reliable internet connectivity. The Beau connectors on most of
these slot machines seem to be a bone of contention. Most of the time a simple cleaning and polishing will restore all of the connections back to normal operation. I am sure that the Molex connectors would do a good job but what a job it is going to be to replace them. I have never done that and not so sure that I would even want to unless as a last resort.
Have you tried going down to the local gun shop and buying a .17 cal bore cleaner and then used that to clean the female connectors? I was thinking even using a drill to spin the bore brush and maybe even some of the cleaner they use to clean guns just might restore your connectivity. Just make sure you let everything dry real good before plugging it back in.

Offline ramegoom

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
The display straightens out when I wiggle the reel assembly so it's a problem with the female connector. Bad design. I polished the male terminals and used a loose terminal to check the spring tension; some of the female connections are looser than the others. 

I'm thinking I will break out the 10 pins that go to the digital display, and run a separate ribbon cable between the LED's and the CPU connection on the backplane board.

I could use a bally style ribbon cable instead. I'm pretty sure it'd be more reliable than the bulky Beau connections. In fact, looking at how Bally does it on the E2000 series machines, it might be a good conversion project using Molex connectors.

If I didn't really like the machine, I wouldn't bother.  Kind of stuck though.

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
That would be an interesting project but you can still get Beau plugs, they are still being made by Molex
of all people.  I would be curious as to how things went and how difficult it was to make the modifications.

Offline ramegoom

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:55:10 AM »
I bet it'd be easier to graft a 14 pin socket onto the CPU backplane board and extend it over to the display, than attempt to replace that Beau plug. Granted, replacing the connector would fix the problem, but I have my doubts that it was the best way to make the connection. Those connectors go back to the 60's and really haven't changed since then. I know Mouser carries the connectors and really, I *could* replace individual terminals, but the females are a bear to remove from the bakelite pocket.

Heh, at least we can upgrade to '80's technology....!

Offline ramegoom

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »
UPDATE: Well, it took me a year to finally get to it. What I ended up doing is replacing 10 of the terminals on the Beau connector with gold-plated terminals that I cannibalized out of a NOS connector. The terminals are related to the digital readout pins. The female terminals are an absolute bear to fish out, but by the tenth one, I had it down to a science.

Problem solved, game plays perfectly, and all is well.  I might just follow thru and replace the male terminals too, but it's working, so I'm thinking, leave it alone.

Offline Jackpot

• Administrator
    • The Sugar Shack, antique Coin operated games, slots-jukes-and others
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »
UPDATE: Well, it took me a year to finally get to it. What I ended up doing is replacing 10 of the terminals on the Beau connector with gold-plated terminals that I cannibalized out of a NOS connector. The terminals are related to the digital readout pins. The female terminals are an absolute bear to fish out, but by the tenth one, I had it down to a science.

Problem solved, game plays perfectly, and all is well.  I might just follow thru and replace the male terminals too, but it's working, so I'm thinking, leave it alone.

WOW, what a job I bet! I know that these pins and plugs, especially the aluminum pins can cause all kinds of problems as these machines get older, and care is not taken when inserting the reel mechanism and the hopper. I really found some good stuff that I think really helps on these connectors. I told a pinball repair friend of mine about this stuff, and he tried it. After that he thanked me 500 times for telling him about it. He uses it on all his pinball light sockets and other items and now he will never be without a can of it. It is called corrosionX and you can read about how it works at their web site, I use the red can and have several cans around my shop. Their web site is at: http://corrosionx.com/, best stuff I have ever found for aluminum connectors. You can read how it work at this link: http://corrosionx.com/corrosionx-technology.html
Jackpot ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:26:32 PM by Jackpot »

Offline ramegoom

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
I have heard about that stuff but never tried it. I think I'll give it a try.

With the reel mechanism, I almost converted it to the twin Molex (Ballly) setup and eliminated the Beau connectors altogether, but I totaled up the number of pins needed, and it would involve multiple connectors. Summit puts the MPU into the reel mechanism instead of how Bally does it, so it gets more involved to interface it.

Now I just need to figure out how to increase my payout odds with this Summit. It must be somewhere around 70% now, pretty dull to play.

Vintage

Slots Web Ring