Author Topic: E2000 series troubleshooting  (Read 270 times)

Offline NE PA Collector

Re: E2000 series troubleshooting
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 06:44:50 PM »
I pulled the 3rd reader out to check which bulb was out,  found a lead off on one of the bulbs!  Soldered it on, and that reader now works.

I can get 2 or 3 good pulls,  then a 42 or 43, and maybe 1st reel stops and 2&3 continue spinning.

I now see that I need to clean and lube the reel assy,  everything, the latch pawl assy is all sticky, it needs a good clean/lube.

And figure out why the tower light continues to flash.  I do get a 71 for door open, but clears on closing and coining.

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 07:11:34 PM »
Cleaning and lubrication are pretty important for these machines. In between each reelis a spacer that appears to be somewhat star shaped, there is a hole at the top of eachof these to lube the reels.
Still not sure why the tower light flashes and that is likely due to me never owningone of these machines

Offline NE PA Collector

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 07:08:48 PM »
Thanks Dan, I dropped a couple drops in those holes in those bearing assembly's.

I tried cleaning all the old dried lube off, it was really bad.  Then I re lubed the whole thing.   I still get the 42error and the 2/3 reels don’t lock,  but it seems really smooth. ?

I have two switches on the roller arm on my hopper, the one in the diagram reads as 002 in the test, but the other switch reads as nothing (?).  A hopper test runs and runs, shows no coin count, stops and I get 59000.

It overpays, and there’s no coin count in the display.

Any guesses?   Thanks, mark

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »
I have to admit that it has been quite some time since I last repaired any of these E1000/2000boards.
The 002 code is good for the top switch on the hopper (Hopper Switch) the other switch is calledthe Level Switch which is used to show that the jackpot needs refilling. That code should be 004and perhaps this is the cause of your flashing tower light (let the operator know that the hopperneeds more coins)
The 42 code indicates a bad reel reader on real 2 (41, 42, 43 = Reel1, Reel2, Reel3)
There are also two switches on the side of the metal reel casing, one is an ARM switch, the other is the KICKswitch.  The ARM Switch is above the cam, the KICK switch is the one that looks to be mounted up and down.
One is wired to be normally open, the other normally closed, sorry I don't remember which is which but if you runtest 3 then the Arm switch should give you an 020 code, the Kick should be 010I would probably look at U9 (74174) U12 (7417) as these two chips control all of these bits

Offline NE PA Collector

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »
Well, I checked for the adjustment screw on the end of the rocker/roller arm,  it was missing.  Replaced that and hopper works fine,  hopper test gives 10 coin pay.

The reels work almost flawless with the door open,  but with the door closed, The 2/3rd reels won’t lock after a few pulls.

Good suggestion for the level switch/candle lamp!  I’ll check that quick!  Thank you.

Offline NE PA Collector

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 07:19:03 PM »
Well it’s not the level switch.

But this reel problem,  last night I played it for a hour straight, fine.  Today, 3-4 pulls and 2-3rd reels don’t lock.   What would cause them not to lock, a problem with the FIRST reader, then tilt and no lock?

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 07:35:57 PM »
Hmm, if the reel readers are all good then the only thing that comes to mindwould be bad wiring on the plugs for the reel readers. I remember one machinethat Rodger (owner of this website) that was driving him nuts, he finally traced itto a bad wire.
We are getting to a point where I believe that the trouble shooting is a bit beyondme because as I have mentioned before I have never owned one of these machines.There is another forum and the moderator of that forum has worked on a lot of theseBally E-Series machines as well as having several more experts than myself.
This link is to that particular message board, there is no charge to join either.
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?board=75.0

Offline NE PA Collector

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 07:10:30 PM »
Thanks Dan,  I think I narrowed it down to a specific reader card,  I’m going to focus on that.

I have an account at NLG, but you’re so knowledgeable I wanted your opinion on this.

The 742 and 831 machines are so “simple” compared to this thing.  But being an old radio and tv guy I can’t let this thing get the best of me.

Thanks again man!

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2019, 08:13:05 PM »
I too am an OLD radio and TV guy, then I got tired of starving one week and eating like a king the nextthat I got a real job that started in fixing IC test equipment and ended being a Network Engineer.
There are times that I have found some of the photo transistors just didn't quite put out enoughvoltage and believe it or not some of the bulbs so dirty that not enough light would shine to getthe photo-transistor to do much of anything.
My reason for referring you was not to dump you onto someone else, rather I just have never ownedor even worked on a physical machine and figured they might be a better source of information.
Dan

Offline NE PA Collector

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 10:25:20 AM »
i Didn’t think you were dumping me,  and you don’t own a machine?  Wow,  would have never guessed that.

I might replace the Ptrans’s and start there.  It has to be on this board, not the other reel board.

Thanks again dan.

Offline dhellis

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 10:31:48 AM »
I have several of those photo transistors if you need them.

Vintage

Slots Web Ring